Abdul Rawoof Pinjari, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering (Transportation Systems Engineering)
Chairperson, Centre for infrastructure, Sustainable Transportation and Urban Planning (CiSTUP)
Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
Bangalore, 560012. INDIA.
Office location: CiSTUP, SID Building, IISc
E-mail: abdul (at) iisc.ac.in Note: E-mail is the best way to contact me.
- Doctor of Philosophy Civil Engineering University of Texas at Austin 2008
- Master of Science Civil Engineering University of South Florida, Tampa 2004
- Bachelor of Technology Civil Engineering Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras 2002
- Associate Professor, 2017-Present, Indian Institute of Science, Department of Civil Engineering and CiSTUP (Joint appointment)
- Courtesy Associate Professor, 2018-2023, Department of Civil Engineering, University of South Florida
- Visiting Professor (sabbatical visit), 2015-2016, Indian Institute of Science, Center for infrastructure, Sustainable Transportation and Urban Planning (CiSTUP)
- Research Fellow (sabbatical visit), May-August 2015, University of Texas at Austin, Center for Transportation Research
- Associate Professor, 2014-2017, University of South Florida, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Assistant Professor, 2008-2014, University of South Florida, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Faculty Affiliate (courtesy appointment), 2009-2017, Center for Urban Transportation Research, University of South Florida
- Faculty Affiliate (courtesy appointment), 2012-2015, Patel College for Global Sustainability, University of South Florida
- Research Project Manager, 2007-2008, Center for Transportation Research, University of Texas at Austin
- Graduate Research Assistant, 2004-2008, Center for Transportation Research, University of Texas at Austin
- Graduate Research Assistant, 2002-2004, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of South Florida
- Courtesy Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, University of South Florida, 2018-2023
- External Affiliate, Choice Modelling Centre (CMC), University of Leeds, UK, 2018 - Present
- Transportation Planning, Travel Demand Modeling and Forecasting: Multimodal transportation planning and modeling; Activity-based and micro-simulation approaches to urban travel demand modeling; Long-distance/Inter-regional travel analysis; Public transit ridership estimation and service planning; Consumer adoption and travel demand impacts of emerging travel modes and technology (shared mobility, connected and automated vehicles); Model transferability; Uncertainty in travel demand forecasts
- Choice Modeling and Econometric Analysis of User Behavior in Urban Systems: Discrete choice models; Discrete-continuous econometric systems; Multidimensional choice systems; Kuhn-Tucker Demand Systems; Copula models; Duration models; Alternative estimation methods; Mathematical modeling of psychological constructs of choice (attitudes, beliefs, etc.)
- Travel Behavior Analysis: Travel behavior analysis for sustainable transport planning and policy formulation; Activity- and time-use based travel analysis; Behavior-centric mobility analytics using ubiquitous data sources
- Freight Mobility, Trade and Logistics: Freight planning and demand analysis at national, statewide, megaregional, and regional levels; Logistics-led economic development; Interactions between maritime and surface freight transportation
- Land-use and Transportation Interactions: Urban form and travel behavior; Residential self-selection effects; Integrated land-use and travel demand models
- Sustainability issues in Transportation: Household vehicle ownership and usage; Bicycle and pedestrian travel; Elderly mobility; Residential and transport-related energy consumption; Human exposures to traffic pollutants and related inequities
- Transportation Surveys and Data Collection: Activity-travel surveys and methods; Stated preference studies; Data fusion to augment conventional data sources
- Transportation Safety: Statistical analysis of traffic crash exposure, occurrence, and occupant injury severity
Industry Consulting Experience
- Caliper Corporation, Adviser on use of discrete-continuous choice models for activity-based travel demand forecasting in South California (Los Angeles and adjacent regions).
- Cambridge Systematics, Adviser on mining large scale truck probe data sets for regional freight planning.
- Infrastructure Management Group, Adviser on analysis of uncertainty in demographic inputs for toll road forecasts.
- Gannett Fleming, Adviser on development and application of transportation planning models for Tampa Bay, Florida.
- Resource Systems Group, Adviser on use of discrete-continuous choice models for market share analysis of FMCG products.